February is American Heart Month, which serves as a reminder of just how important it is to make lifestyle choices that can help maintain a healthy heart. With heart disease being the leading cause of death for men and women in the United States, it’s important to take preventive measures and be proactive about managing your health conditions.
You can lower your risk of developing heart disease by being aware of preventable risk factors and making smart health decisions. Every step you take towards a healthier lifestyle can have long-term benefits that your heart will thank you for!
Heart Healthy Tips
- Don’t smoke and avoid second hand smoke
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes a day (going for a walk counts!)
- Eat a heart healthy diet and avoid fast food
- Maintain a healthy weight (track your weight gains and losses)
- Get regular health screenings (think: preventive maintenance)
- Keep an eye on your blood pressure and cholesterol levels
Follow the America Heart Association for information throughout the month and more tips for a healthy heart.